Definataion: File is a Collection of logically related entities(records) or file is a collection of related information that is recorded on a secondary storage.
File will have various attributes
File context:All the attributes of the file called as file context.
File context will be stored in FCB(file control block)
File having various types:
- .pdf etc
Operations: various operations on the file
- append etc
For the better classification of the files .Files will be stored in the directory
- Single level directory
- Two level directory
- Multilevel/ tree directory
Single level directory:
- Implementation of this directory structures is easy or simple .
- Two files cannot have same name .
- Searching time for the specific files will be more (if 1000000 files).
Two -Level directory:
In this separate directories for each user is maintained.
- Path name:Due to two levels there is a path name for every file to locate that file.
- Now,we can have same file name for different user.
- Searching is efficient in this method
Multilevel /tree directory:
- Implementation of this directory structure is difficult or complicated.
- The better classification of the files as per the criteria.
- Searching time for the specific files will be less.
- If the same file exists in the two different directories ,if one file is updated then other file has to be updated accordingly otherwise there will be a inconsistency
- Directory is maintained in the form of a tree.
- there is grouping capability.
- We have absolute or relative path name for a file.