Network Layer Protocols are mainly used in the case of Internet.
- IP – main protocol, it works best in case of host-to-host delivery
- ARP – used when passing packets from physical layer to lower data-link layer
- RARP – used at diskless machines for IP address recovery
- ICMP – used by hosts and routers to handle unusual situations such as IP packet-header errors, unreachable hosts and networks, etc.
- IGMP – used by host and routers to achieve efficient network-layer multicasting
- Routing Protocols Routing Protocols – responsible for routing table maintenance