- In this arrangement computers and devices are connected to a single linear cable called a trunk.
- The trunk is also referred to as the backbone or a segment.
- Coaxial cablings ( 10Base-2, 10Base5) were popular options years ago.
- The data is sent in only one direction and as soon as it reaches the extreme end, the terminator removes the data from the line.
Main characteristics of this topology are:
- Moderate Reliability
- Moderate performance
- Cheap and easy to implement
- Require less cable
- Does not use any specialized network equipment
- Network disruption when computers are added or removed
- A break in the cable will prevent all systems from accessing the network
- Difficult to troubleshoot