- Computers and devices are connected to a closed loop cable. Here there are no terminating ends so if one system crashes the entire network goes down.
- Each computer functions as a repeater and charges the signal before sending it to the next station.
- Meaning that data travels in circular fashion from one computer to another on the network.
- Typically FDDI, SONET or Token Ring technology are used to implement a ring network
- Ring networks are most commonly wired in a star configuration
- Cable faults are easily located, making troubleshooting easier
- Ring networks are moderately easy to install
- Expansion to the network can cause network disruption
- A single break in the cable can disrupt the entire network.