- All computers and devices are connected to a main hub or switch.
- The hub or switch amasses and control the flow of data within the network.
- Star topology is the most common type of network and follows the Ethernet standard.
- All computers/devices connect to a central device called hub or switch.
- Each device requires a single cable
- Point-to-point connection between the device and hub.
- Most widely implemented
- Hub is the single point of failure
- High Speed
- Very Flexible
- High Reliability
- High Maintainability
- Easily expanded without disruption to the network
- Cable failure affects only a single user
- Easy to troubleshoot and isolate problems
- Requires more cable
- A central connecting device allows for a single point of failure
- More difficult to implement