A local area network is a group of computers and devices that share a common communications line or wireless link to a server. Computers and other mobile devices use a LAN connection to share resources such as a printer or network storage.
- The smallest LAN may only cooect two computers, while larger LANs can cooeect thousands of computers and devices.
- A LAN mostly used on wired connections for increased speed and security, but wireless connections can also be part of a LAN.
- High speed and relatively low cost are the defining characteristics of LANs.
- Ethernet and Wi-Fi are the two primary ways to connect LAN connections.
- Ethernet is a specification that helps computers to communicate with each other. Wi-Fi uses radio waves to connect computers to the LAN.
- In older days other LAN technologies are used to connect the computers like:Token Ring, Fiber Distributed Data Interface , but they have lost favor as Ethernet and Wi-Fi speeds have increased.