- In this type of operating system, jobs which are of similar type are grouped together and treated as a batch.
- The system will then perform all the required operations in a sequence. So, we consider this as a type of Serial processing. Eg: Bank Statements
1. Suppose a job takes a very long time(1 day or so). Then, such processes can be performed even in the absence of humans.
2. They doesn't require any special hardware and system support to input data.
1. It is very difficult to debug batch systems.
2. Lack of interaction between user and operating system.
3. Suppose an error occurs in one of the jobs of a batch. Then, all the remaining jobs get affected i.e; they have to wait until the error is resolved.