1. Paging is a Memory Management Technique.
2. In Paging the memory is divided into fixed size pages.
3. Operating system retrieves data from secondary storage in same-size blocks called pages.
4. Paging is an important part of virtual memory implementations in modern operating systems.
5. It allows the physical address space of the process to be non-contiguous. 6. The concept of paging is used to remove the problem of fragmentation
7. Paging is used for faster access to data.
Effect of page size on performance:-
1. The number of frames is equal to the size of memory divided by the page-size.
2. Increase in page size means a decrease in the number of available frames.
3. Due to lower freedom in replacement choice, having a fewer frames will increase the number of page faults.
4. Large pages would also waste space by Internal Fragmentation.
5. On the other hand, a larger page-size would draw in more memory per fault.
6. So the number of fault may decrease, if there is limited contention.
7. Larger pages also reduce the number of TLB misses.
8. Small Page size increases number of pages as well as size of page table.
9. Hence large page size is preferable.
10. Generally this problem as no best answer some factors favors smaller page while other favors larger page size.