Secondary storage devices are those devices whose memory is non volatile, meaning, the stored data will be intact even if the system is turned off. Here are a few things worth noting about secondary storage.
- Secondary storage is also called auxiliary storage.
- Secondary storage is less expensive when compared to primary memory like RAMs.
- The speed of the secondary storage is also lesser than that of primary storage.
- Hence, the data which is less frequently accessed is kept in the secondary storage.
- A few examples are magnetic disks, magnetic tapes, removable thumb drives etc.